Riđica

Riđica is the northernmost town of Sombor municipality and its only 2 kilometers ( 1.24 miles) away from the state border with Hungary. Archeological findings confirm that this village has been inhabited even in the ancient times.
The oldest written records of the village date from 1346. and are in Hungarian language, when the settlement of Reg is mentioned. The settlement then was under the ruling of a Hungarian member of the royal family. The Cobor family, which then owned the land today known as the city of Sombor, acquires the settlement of Reg (Riđica) in 1399. The name Riđica itself as we know it today is first mentioned in the records in 1590. when the settlement was a part of the Ottoman empire. Nikola Dvoriković a Serbian landlord acquires the settlement from the Vienna royal court in 1663. after which Serbian ethnic group starts populating this settlement. The first records of Serbian ethnicity being the majority of inhabitants date from 1786. The settlement is sold by Franz I of Austria to count Imre Kovács in 1801. who in the following years starts building a castle with an English garden around it and plants vines on 200 hectares of land. Since then the vine from this settlement is known to be very rare and very good in quality. The castle itself still exists in Riđica and it has been declared to be cultural heritage. Today, the castle is used for local community affairs and the park is turned into sporting ground and a playground.
The Kovács Castle
The castle was erected in 1806. and was built in the baroque style. The castle used to be surrounded by a park made in English gardening style designed by and Czech gardener Franz Hitter.
The castle was erected in 1806. and was built in the baroque style. The castle used to be surrounded by a park made in English gardening style designed by and Czech gardener Franz Hitter.
The river Plazović, also known as Kiđoš, flows through this settlement and its mostly dry through the summer season however the people who live in this settlement have built a few bridges across the small river: Wooden, Iron, Yellow, Wide, Freight, Wine, Concrete and bridges in the Riđica street as well as one in Frankopan, Vojvodina and Zrin-Knin streets.