GRASSALKOVICH PALACE

A spacious baroque one-storey building was built by noble Count Antun Grassalkovich, the manager of the imperial estates of the Bačka-Bodrog District. Building of the palace had been completed by 1763 at the latest. At first, the purpose of the palace was to accommodate the administration centre of the Bačka Chamber Head Office and as the immigration centre after that and a quarantine for German immigrants colonized in Bačka during the sixties and seventies of the 18th century. The present appearance of Grassalkovich Palace dates back from the end of the 19th century, when a part of the building was remodeled and added to the Palace.